Welcome to AncestralHeroes.com
Ancestral Heroes, Your Ancestors, Fathers, Mothers, Grandfathers, Grandmothers, Uncles, Aunts, Friends, Who Served in the Civil War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam War, Gulf War.... and defended our freedom.
Davidson, George B.
George B. Davidson, well known druggist of Butler, Pennsylvania, where he is owner of the Davidson Drug Store, 600 Brady Street, is a man who has achieved success in his chosen profession. He was born in this city, March 5, 1894, a son of Archie W. and Tillie B. (Gilchrist) Davidson.
Archie W. Davidson was born in Slippery Rock Township, Butler County, in 1865. He was reared on the old homestead and received an excellent education. When he was twenty-one years of age he came to Butler, Pennsylvania, and worked in the oil fields, then clerked in the grocery store of Peter Mangold, and later opened a grocery store of his own at 354 East Jefferson Street, which he conducted for several years. He died in March, 1917, and is buried in North Cemetery, Butler. He was a Republican and in 1906 was elected boro tax collector. He served as school director of the Second Ward and as city treasurer. At the time of his death he was engaged in the oil production business. He was a Mason and a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 170; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Mystic Circle. On May 17, 1893, he was married to Tillie D. Gilchrist, and to them the following children were born: George B., the subject of this sketch ; Wallace A., served in France during the World War in Company A, First Engineers, First Division, lives in Butler; Ira F., trucking business, Freeport, Pennsylvania ; John E. and Thomas D., both students.
Archie W. Davidson was the son of Isaac A. and Analiza Davidson. Isaac A. Davidson was born in 1826 at Slipper Rock Township, Butler County, Pennsylvania. He died in May, 1905.
George B. Davidson was graduated from Butler High School in 1913, and from the University of Pittsburgh in 1917 with the degree of Ph. G. Upon leaving college he was employed as a druggist for the S. G. Purvis Pharmacy, when the United States entered the World War. He enlisted in the U. S. Army and was sent to Camp Forest, Georgia, where he received his training. He was then sent to France as a casual and entered a training school there, where he remained about one year. He was assigned to Company C, One Hundred and Fourth Engineers, Twenty-ninth Division. He received his discharge in May, 1919, and returned to Butler, where he was a druggist for the Garrard Pharmacy and later with the Reed Pharmacy. In May, 1924, he established his present business, and is meeting with well deserved success. His store, which is modern in every- respect, is located at 600 Brady Street.
In 1918 Mr. Davidson was married to Miss Salome A. Shaffer, a daughter of Anthony and Ella (Smith) Shaffer, residents of Butler, where Mr. Shaffer is connected with the Standard Steel Car Company. To Mr. and Mrs. Davidson four children have been born : George B., Jr., a student ; Richard Dale, Evelyn Lucille, and William Roland.
Mr. Davidson is a Republican and a member of the First Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Butler County Retail Druggists' Association, and Kappa Psi fraternity. Mr. Davidson is a young man of vision, energy and ambition, and an asset to his community.
History of Butler Co PA 1927