Welcome to AncestralHeroes.com
Ancestral Heroes, Your Ancestors, Fathers, Mothers, Grandfathers, Grandmothers, Uncles, Aunts, Friends, Who Served in the Civil War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam War, Gulf War.... and defended our freedom.
Adam George, the progenitor of the Unity township Georges, came out of Germany, and first settled in York County, Pa., and afterwards, about the time of the opening of the land-office (1769), came into Westmoreland and located upon the place known in frontier times as "George’s Station," which is now owned and occupied by Peter George, and which is but a short distance from the present "George Station" on the Pennsylvania Railroad. The name of Adam George appears in the lists of signers to the petitions of 1774 to Governor Penn for military protection from the Indians. In the Revolution he was a soldier under the immediate command of Washington; he also served on the frontier, and although he escaped serious personal injury, yet it seemed as by miracle. He died at an advanced age, and was buried on his own farm. One of his sons, Conrad George, was in the fort at Hannastown when the village was burned. John, the second son, grew up with great hunting proclivities, and spent much of his early manhood in the chase on the Alleghenies. He married, in Somerset County, Miss Eleanor Campbell about the year 1800. They lived together until the death of Mrs. George in 1860, a period of sixty years, and had a family of six sons and seven daughters, all of whom except one daughter grew to maturity. After his marriage he lived in Mercer County till the spring of 1811, when he settled on the farm now occupied by his son Isaac, whose portrait accompanies this sketch, situate in Unity township, near Beatty Station. He died Sept. 4, 1863, and was buried in Unity Church cemetery.
Isaac, the eleventh child of John, was born Oct. 4, 1822, in Unity township, on the farm he now owns and occupies. He grew up on his father’s farm until he reached the age of eighteen, when he went out from the home-roof to learn his trade. After serving an apprenticeship of three years at the carpenter trade, he went to May’s Lick, Ky., where he worked at his trade for one year; thence to Lexington, Mo., where he continued to work at his trade with good success.
At this time occurred the war with Mexico, and under a call for volunteers Mr. George enlisted in the company of Capt. Walton (Company B), in the regiment which, under the command of Col. Doniphan, made that famous march which has immortalized all those who participated in it.
This regiment was raised in Western Missouri, near the borders of Kansas. They assembled at Fort Leavenworth, and began their celebrated march across the plains to the confines of Mexico on the 26th of June, 1846. The regiment was called the First Regiment of Missouri Mounted Riflemen; its colonel was A.W. Doniphan, and it was attached to the division of Gen. Stephen W. Kearney. The march of this regiment, called "Doniphan’s March," or "Doniphan’s Expedition," is one of the most memorable in modern warfare, and the boldness of its conception and the success in which it terminated brought forth the commendations of all military men and the plaudits of the people throughout the Union. The march will be celebrated to all time in the military history of the nation.
After a march of one thousand miles across the plains through a hostile region the regiment took Sante Fe on the 18th of August, 1846, fought the battle of Brazito, which secured El Paso, crossed the Rio Grande into Mexico proper, marched on towards Chihuahua, which, after the brilliant battle and victory of Sacramento, they captured, Feb. 28, 1847. From there the command was ordered by Gen. Taylor to report to Gen. Brook at New Orleans, they being allowed to put in the rest of their time in marching homeward, an honor conferred upon them in recognition of their distinguished services to the country, which the general commanding regarded to be so effectual as to be thus publicly acknowledged. From Camargo, on the Rio Grande, ten men from each company volunteered to take the horses of the regiment overland by way of Texas to their homes. Returning home by way of New Orleans, he, with about one-half of his comrades, landed at Lexington, Mo., July 1, 1847, having been honorably discharged.*
His parents being now advanced in age he visited them, and out of a sense of duty to them took charge of their affairs. He bought their farm, and has continued to own and reside upon it unto the present time. By energy and industry he has made for himself a haven of rest, wherein he may safely and peacefully anchor the rest of his days. In addition to farming, he has been rather extensively engaged in the lumber manufacture, and for years has carried on saw-milling profitably.
On the 26th of December, 1853, Mr. George married Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Hon. Samuel Nixon, of Fayette County, a man of honorable standing, who served three terms in the Legislature of the State, and ten years as associate judge of Fayette County. Mrs. George, a woman of energy and piety, has contributed not a little to her husband’s success. They have raised a family of two sons and three daughters.
While in Kentucky Mr. George united with the Disciple Church. His wife was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. After their marriage they attended the Presbyterian Church of Unity, with which they also united with their children.
Mr. George is a man of quiet manners, of consistent morals, and of liberality. He makes himself useful in church work when he is called upon to lend a helping hand. He is exact and scrupulously honest in his dealings, has keen discernment and quiet energy. No man in his neighborhood has had better success in any calling than Mr. George has had in his. The fruits of his diligence, tact, and Christian uprightness, which he now enjoys, are a liberal and increasing worldly portion, the esteem of his neighbors, and a virtuous and intelligent family.
History of Westmoreland County, PA 1882